King Charles thanks the public for support, making first appearance since cancer diagnosis

King Charles III made his first public statement on Saturday after sharing his cancer diagnosis with the world last week, thanking him for the well-wishes.

“I want to express my heartfelt thanks for the many messages of support and well wishes I have received in recent days,” Charles, 75, said in a message released by Buckingham Palace. “As those affected by cancer will know, such thoughts are most comforting and encouraging.”

“It’s also great to hear how sharing my own diagnosis has helped to promote public understanding and shine a light on the work of all the organizations supporting cancer patients and their families in the UK and around the world,” continued King. “My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is heightened as a result of my own personal experience.”

And on Sunday, Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, 76, were seen attending church in Sandringham – his first public appearance since the Palace revealed that during the procedure for an enlarged prostate, doctors discovered “a separate issue of concern” that required treatment

“During King’s recent hospital procedure for a benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted,” the Feb. 5 statement read. “Subsequent diagnostic tests identified a form of cancer.”

Palace later clarified that the cancer was not prostate cancer.

“Maharaj has started a regular treatment schedule today, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public appearances. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to conduct state business and official paperwork as usual,” continued last week’s statement.

“The King is grateful to his medical team for his quick intervention, which was made possible by his recent hospital procedure,” the statement read. “He remains completely positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.”

According to the statement, Charles chose to go public with his diagnosis “in the hope that it can help stop speculation and increase public understanding for all those affected by cancer around the world.”

Upon hearing the news, Prince Harry, 39, immediately flew to the UK to see his father.

He arrived around 2pm local time on Tuesday and met with Her Majesty for just 45 minutes before returning to the London hotel where he was staying.

Notably absent was Harry’s wife Meghan Markle, who chose not to accompany her husband on the brief trip because, according to former royal butler Grant Harold, she felt it was something he needed to do alone – and to be with her. was able. their two children.

“Meghan decided it was best to stay home with the kids, and maybe she feels Harry has to do it alone,” Harold told The Post. “He is her father. She is aware of the close relationship and probably encouraged him to come.

Harry, who was spotted heading home to California on Wednesday, never saw Prince William, 41, during the visit.

A source told The Post that the Prince of Wales has “no plans” to see Harry as he returns to royal duties on Wednesday.

Several sources told Page Six that Charles’ diagnosis may force the brothers into a temporary truce.

Harry and William have not spoken to each other for over a year, despite attending their father’s coronation in May 2023.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *